Gas Furnace Repair: Taking A Look At Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Gas furnace repair

The gas furnace is highly efficient and keeps your house warm without many problems. Unfortunately, we can’t ignore its major problem: carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of combustion and is usually contained within the walls of the heat exchanger.

How carbon monoxide becomes a health hazard

According to gas furnace repair professionals, in a properly functioning gas furnace, the gas is directed through the furnace’s flue pipe and is vented out of your home. Due to old age or damage to the heat exchanger or flue pipe, the gas leaks to your home’s air. The gas gets into your body and prevents the effective distribution of oxygen. When plenty of gas is in the body, no oxygen is distributed to the vital body organs and this can be fatal.

Tips on how to maintain gas furnace safety

Due to the danger that comes with the gas furnace, you need to do a number of things to be safe. The first thing should do is ensure that you install carbon monoxide detectors. Since the gas is odorless and colorless, it’s impossible to detect it without the help of the detectors. The units will warn you when the levels are high so that you can move to safety. As rule of thumb, you should ensure that the detectors are installed by a certified heating contractor.

Another thing you should do is to regularly replace the air filters. HVAC technicians report that one of the causes of carbon monoxide leaks is airflow backup. To prevent this you should keep your air filters clean all the time.

Just like with your electric furnace, you should hire an HVAC company at least once a year to inspect your unit. During the inspection, the technician should look at all the areas of the unit and fix any problems that might be there. The professionals will be able to pick the problems that might put your family at the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and fix them before they pose danger.

If replacing your furnace, ensure that it’s properly installed. According to heating unit repair professionals, when your unit isn’t well installed, it might leak thus putting you and your family at the risk of poisoning. You should ensure that the blower, ductwork, and all areas of the unit are professionally installed so that they smoothly work together. This calls for you to work with a trusted and certified professional.

This entry was posted in HVAC Repairs and Installation and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

QdVA