An air source heat pump is a dual purpose unit that functions as a heater in winter and as an air conditioner in summer. The unit runs on electricity and you can use it together with the existing ductwork. You can also use it as a ductless system.
Since the units run on electricity, many people have the notion that they are expensive to have, but heat pump repair service providers observe that this isn’t case. This is because the units are designed to be highly energy efficient.
How do heat pumps work?
Did you know the refrigerator is an example of a heat pump? The unit extracts warm air from the inside and sends it through the pump and out through the coils at the bottom. Air source heat pumps function the same way. They pull the warm from outside the house and bring it into the house, keeping you warm.
During the warm months of the year, the unit removes the warm air from inside the house leaving you cool and comfortable.
Are there benefits of having heat pumps at home?
There are plenty of benefits that come with installing heat pumps in your home. The most common ones are:
Environmentally friendly and efficient: According to furnace repair professionals, air pumps have high seasonal energy efficiency ratios (SEER) that make them extremely friendly to the environment. Since the units don’t burn any fuel to keep the house warm, they don’t reduce the carbon footprint when you are using them.
The high SEER means that the units are incredibly efficient. The heat pumps have a coefficient of performance (COP) of about 1.8 or higher. This means that they are up to 180% more efficient than the standard electric heaters.
The high-efficiency levels not only make it fun having the units in your home, it also saves you a lot of money in energy bills at the end of the month.
You get two systems in one: As mentioned, you can use the units to heat and also cool the house. This means that you don’t have to buy an air conditioner when summer comes about. All you need to do is change the settings and you will be good to go.
They are durable: According to heating systems experts, when you take good care of the heat pumps they can last up to 20 years. While they are easy to install, it’s recommended that you hire a reputable installation company to help you with the installation.
Avoid installing them by yourself to avoid making costly mistakes. Hiring a professional also gives you peace of mind as you know that the unit is properly installed.
How to use the heat pump efficiently in winter
While the heat pumps are designed to be highly energy efficient, you can do a number of stupid things that lead to you spending a lot of money heating your house. do you want to save money when using the heat pump? Do the following:
- Keep the settings low. This calls for you to keep the settings between 18 and 20 degrees centigrade. Some people have the notion that setting the heat pump high will heat the house faster, but this isn’t the case. Rather, you will end up spending a lot of energy.
- Just like with the furnace, you should clean both the indoor and outdoor filters on a regular basis. Cleaning the filters is easy thus you can do it by yourself. The only reason you should hire an expert is when you don’t have the necessary skills or the outdoor unit is located in an area that is difficult to get to.
- When you aren’t using the unit, turn it off. This saves you a lot of money in the run long especially if you aren’t home most times of the day.
- You should only heat the spaces that you are using. This calls for you to avoid having heat pumps going to the bedrooms and rooms that you aren’t using.
- Before the heating season begins, it’s wise that you hire a heating service repair Long Island professional to inspect the unit and fix any issues it might be having.